- Their finish such as high-polish, antiqued, vermeil charms or even enamel. Enamel charms offer a high quality color by means of a painted surface either on the entire charm or highlighting specific areas of the charms.
- The presence of a gemstone or cubic zirconia is another criterion used to denote categorization for the silver charms. Several series of silver charms within the Plum Island Silver catalog offer the twelve birthstone months such as the birthstone soccer balls, cz baby shoe charms, CZ heart pendants, cz paw charms, and the birthstone babies.
- Silver jewelry characterized by themes such as travel, sports jewelry, animal jewelry, religious pendants, celtic jewelry, musical charms, holiday jewelry, and state charms demonstrate the classification by association or common theme.
- Engravable silver jewelry like the engravable pendants such as the dog breed jewelry, cz paw print pendant, and silver dog tags allows the individual to customize with a phrase, date, or name on the reverse.
- Phrase pendants, numerical charms and letters charms are exactly what their name implies. Often they are augmented by enameling or the addition of cz's.
Some styles may overlap from one category to another such as some engravable silver jewelry is also a part of the cz pendants grouping. Often, the rationale for the ultimate location may be subjective as there is no wrong and no right and frequently a silver pendant bearing more than one means of categorization criteria can be placed in more than one location of the catalog.